Types of bracket systems - Their differences, Which are better, Photo
- What are the types of orthodontic brackets?
- The evolution of orthodontic brackets
- Classification of braces used in orthodontics
- Types of orthodontic brackets in terms of fixing
- Types of rods
- Types of orthodontic brackets according to the method of fixing of the dental arch
- Types of bracket systems by material of orthodontic brackets
- Plastic types of orthodontic brackets
- Types of orthodontic brackets by location
- What types of orthodontic brackets are the best ones?
What are the types of orthodontic brackets?
Aligners, mouth guards, trainers, created using unique technologies in leading laboratories in Europe and the USA, are increasingly replacing the classic types of orthodontic brackets.
Although evolution has been observed not only in alternative therapies, modern types of orthodontic brackets have also changed dramatically compared to their predecessors.
They have become less noticeable and uncomfortable to wear, more convenient to care for, and more effective in bite correction.
There are many stylish varieties of orthodontic brackets for children, interesting novelties for those who want to smile beautifully in adult life.
The evolution of orthodontic brackets
Age restrictions on the use of different types of orthodontic brackets have practically disappeared - both young people of 22-30 years old and mature patients over 50 come for treatment in our clinics. Everyone wants to smile beautifully, and non-removable orthodontic brackets are still the most effective way to fulfill such a desire...
In addition, the correct bite also gives a number of privileges in terms of dental health (caries develops less often on straight teeth). It is true that the types of bracket systems have become so numerous that it is easy to get confused in this catalog without certain knowledge.
However, it does not apply to our patients: each orthodontist of Lumi-Dent dental clinic network is well versed in all types of bracket systems, and will be happy to help you to make the only right choice.
You will get a guarantee: advanced technologies of 3D modeling of a smile, which we have been using for a long time, will help everyone to see the results of treatment and their future smile in advance.
Photos of braces. The result of teeth straightening by our specialists, before and after treatment.
Classification of braces used in orthodontics
- By material of manufacture: metal, plastic (plastic), composite, ceramic, sapphire (transparent);
- By location: external (vestibular) and internal lingual, invisible;
- By design: ligature and ligatureless;
- By brand and manufacturer (Ormco, Incognito, Clarity, Clarity SL, Inovation, and many other types);
- By composition: simple (from one type of braces) and combined braces (different types are used, for example, ceramic in the front and metal in the back).
Types of orthodontic brackets in terms of fixing
What types of orthodontic brackets do we use, what are their differences, and which option is better for adults or children? We answer gradually: all popular types of bracket systems, recognized in developed countries of the world, are installed in Lumi-Dent dental clinic network.
The main classification of the structures used divides them according to two main features: the method of fixing the arch and the location on the teeth.
There is also a division of individual elements of orthodontic brackets into parts:
- A brace - a key component of the entire system (this is how the word bracket is translated) – it is classified according to the materials of its producing;
- The wire that puts pressure on the teeth to align them is called an archwire. Different types of archwires for orthodontic brackets differ in thickness (the longer the patient wears the system, the thicker the wire is placed);
- Ligatures - rubber bands-rings – they can be transparent or multi-colored, thick or thin, the key features of the difference between their types are diameter and density.
Types of rods
Classic types of bracket systems include two or three elements - a brace with wings, an archwire and ligatures (there are none in self-ligating constructions, but more about this just below). Nevertheless, together with them, an additional component can be used - elastic, it is also a traction or an elastic band to enhance the effect of treatment.
In the 21st century, bracket systems have reached a new level, each type of them is unique. Our doctors will select the best variant of bracket systems for you, taking into account your preferences.
Elastics are also divided into types, often special hooks are provided for fixing the orthodontic bracket (if not, then the fixation is carried out on a loop from a ligature elastic band).
The most popular types of orthodontic brackets are:
- classic elastic (transparent or colored);
- chain rings (often colored, they look very interesting on the teeth).
There is also a classification of rods depending on how they are fixed (triangle, trapeze and zigzag).
Photo. The process of installing braces in our clinic.
Types of orthodontic brackets according to the method of fixing of the dental arch
The most common classification feature divides all bracket systems into two large groups, let us analyze their differences:
- Ligature brackets for teeth use special elastic bands - elastic "pads" that separate the enamel from the braces, they act as an arch retainer. Due to additional attachments to the tooth surface and "walking" of the arch in the ligature, the models are worn longer (the time required to correct the bite is increased), their installation takes more time, but they are cheaper.
- Self-ligating or ligature-free bracket systems are the latest generation solution that simplifies the work of the orthodontist and the life of the patient. In them, each bracket is equipped with a special lock - built-in fasteners, where the arc is inserted. Its fixation is more reliable, friction between the elements is reduced, and the dentition aligns faster. It is much easier to correct the pressure in such systems; they require minimal maintenance.
Types of bracket systems by material of orthodontic brackets
Types of braces:
- a number of combined types of braces are distinguished into a separate class of orthodontic brackets, when expensive sapphire (porcelain) braces on the front teeth and metal braces on the sides are placed on the same arch.
Differences between mono-variants:
- different types of metal orthodontic brackets (made of medical steel) are distinguished by an attractive price, reliability and efficiency (they correct the occlusion of teeth faster);
- differences between porcelain orthodontic brackets - low visibility (brace and arch are colored as tooth enamel), non-traumatic, hypoallergenic (the design is made of durable smooth porcelain);
- sapphire types of orthodontic brackets are in many ways similar to porcelain ones, only unlike the latter, this is a transparent material that looks luxurious in the sun, suitable only for owners of snow-white tooth enamel.
Plastic types of orthodontic brackets
Plastic is the first material that has become an alternative to metal, although it was immediately inferior to it in strength and efficiency.
Today, plastic types of orthodontic brackets are used only if the abnormal bite is not very pronounced, more often in pediatric dental orthodontics. This is due to the disadvantages that shape differences and plastic models of all the alternatives.
Photos of braces. The result of the work of our specialists.
Plastic is easily uncolored, it can be broken under mechanical loading and does not exert sufficient pressure on the teeth. It is recommended for children when it is not possible to correct the bite of teeth with removable structures.
A plus of plastic orthodontic brackets is their design: white brackets are hardly noticeable, and a row in color looks interesting and unusual (it has nothing to do with frightening pictures from Hollywood movies of the 90s, where classmates ridiculed children in whose mouth they put brackets).
Metal or porcelain types of orthodontic brackets are better to use for the effectiveness of bite treatment. If you want a more aesthetic look, sapphire brackets are just for you.
Types of orthodontic brackets by location
According to the method of installation on the teeth, there are vestibular and lingual types of orthodontic brackets. Both are able to level the pathological bite of varying severity. Although the world dentistry tends to conclude that lingual brackets are still more effective for deep bite treatment than vestibular ones.
The main differences between the models are installation and form:
- vestibular construction is placed on the outer surface of the tooth enamel and often has the shape of an oval;
- lingual bracket is placed on the tooth from the inside.
Hence the alternative names: the vestibular bracket is also called external, lingual bracket is usually called invisible or internal. The first type of brackets is cheaper, but it can be seen on the teeth upon close examination. The second one is invisible, but in some cases braces that are in contact not with the lips or cheek, but with the tongue, can temporarily affect pronunciation (but the diction will be corrected soon).
Photo. A patient with a doctor orthodontist Kovalenko A.A.
What types of orthodontic brackets are the best ones?
The choice of types of bracket systems is an individual process that requires not only an understanding of the properties, qualities and characteristics of the models. It is important to take into account both price differences, and the profile of the patient's activity, and his habits.
For those who prioritize the aesthetic component, for example, a number of budgetary, but noticeable metal models will not fit, either a porcelain external structure or a lingual one will show themselves better here.
Metal or Porcelain types of dental brackets are better for people who value efficiency (to correct bite at short notice). If you consider orthodontic construction as an element of style (and in Europe and the USA today it is mainstream, brackets are perceived as a sign of status - a watch or a chain), you need a spectacular sapphire range of models.
Each case has its own priorities and differences, but the orthodontists of our clinics know how to help the patient to make the only right choice.
Table for calculating the prices of bracket systems.
|Bracket-systems||Total price of all stages of the installation of bracket systems,
|Metal 3М (Special offer)||32 568|
|Metal, low profile 3М||35 390|
|Self-ligating metal Damon Q||56 088|
|Monocrystalline (sapphire)||57 768|
|Self-ligating ceramic Damon Clear||70 088|
|Lingual (internal)||97 358|
Sign up for a free consultation!
|Metalic braces||8999 UAH|
|self-ligating metal braces||18199 UAH|
|Formulation of ceramic braces||19099 UAH|
|self-ligating ceramic braces||25199 UAH|
|Installing sapphire (monocrystalline) braces||21599 UAH|
|Installing the lingual (inner)||32999 UAH|
There are following differences between bracket systems:
- by material of manufacture: plastic, metal, porcelain, sapphire;
- by the method of attachment: external, internal (lingual);
- by the method of teeth alignment: ligature, ligature-free (self-ligating).
The best orthodontic brackets for you will be the following:
- recommended by a trusted orthodontist;
- suitable for you in terms of price and aesthetics.
Any orthodontic brackets and proper treatment will correct the bite, you just need to take into account the above criteria.
By the nature of the action:
By material of staples:
Sign up for free online consultation