What is a malocclusion?
Types of correct and incorrect bite of teeth
- What is the correct bite of the teeth?
- Signs of a correct bite of the teeth
- What is the danger of an incorrect bite?
- What is an incorrect bite?
- Classification: main species of the incorrect bite
- Why is a disturbed bite so often formed?
- How to align teeth bite in adults?
- How to heal the incorrect bite?
- Veneers for bite correction
- How to straighten a dental bite?
- What is the danger of a bad bite?
- How to align the bite with braces, mouth guards, veneers, crowns?
In this article you can see photos of the correct bite before and after treatment in the Lumi-Dent dental clinic network.
Perfectly correct, naturally formed normal dental bite is rare.
What is the correct bite of the teeth?
The correct bite of the teeth is every person's dream, it is a goal to strive for. The correct bite is the reason that makes us go to the dentist to get it.
Signs of a correct bite of the teeth
- The upper front incisors overlap the lower ones by one third;
- The upper dental arch is larger than the lower one;
- Upper and lower dentition of regular shape, semi-elliptical shape;
- The interdental line between the anterior upper and lower central incisors coincides, it also coincides with the frenulum of the upper and lower lip;
- There is a uniform and tight contact between the lateral chewing teeth;
- The chewing and mimic muscles of the face have an equal tone on the left and right.
Photo. Correct bite before and after. The result of treatment of malocclusion by an orthodontist.
In most cases, there are certain violations of the correct bite, which can cause some discomfort, and require dental treatment.
What is the danger of an incorrect bite?
Sometimes deviations are insignificant and do not affect the quality of a person's life in any way. In advanced cases, in order to even out the malocclusion of the teeth in an adult, it may be necessary to wear braces for a long time, and even surgery.
Whether the patient needs any correction of the dental occlusion can be precisely determined only during the examination by an experienced and highly qualified orthodontist and high-quality X-ray diagnostics.
Up to a certain point, the incorrect bite in children may not manifest itself in any way, unless it has a pronounced aesthetic defect. However, as they get older, a child with an irregular bite of teeth:
- pressure on both jaws increases;
- the risk of tooth decay increases;
- aesthetics is violated;
- speech defects appear;
- there are difficulties in the chewing process.
Photo of the correct bite, before and after treatment.
What is an incorrect bite?
The incorrect bite is not a normal ratio of the upper and lower dentition, as well as an incorrect ratio of individual teeth to each other.
The incorrect bite is a pathology in the development of the dentoalveolar apparatus, in which:
- there is no maximum closing of the teeth with each other;
- there is a violation of aesthetics;
- there is decreased chewing efficiency;
- the functioning of the body as a whole is disrupted.
The incorrect bite is a set of signs and symptoms that characterize the pathological development of the jaws and teeth, and their incorrect relationship.
It is quite possible to notice some symptoms of the incorrect bite on your own:
- strongly protruding jaws;
- incorrect arrangement of the dentition;
- crowded and crooked teeth;
- sufficiently wide interdental spaces.
Photo. Aligners (kappas) on the jaw model.
Aligning the incorrect bite of the teeth is desirable not only for aesthetic reasons.
It is necessary to achieve the correct bite of teeth in order to prevent the formation of a number of complications: the development of periodontal disease, abrasion of the enamel, loosening and removal of teeth, the formation of caries.
You also need to remember about such serious consequences of the incorrect bite, such as:
- diction violation;
- distorted face proportions;
- sharp clicks that occur when the mouth is opened and closed;
- poor chewing of food;
- labored breathing.
In addition, with an incorrect bite, there is an incorrect closing of the upper and lower teeth. It is important to note the fact that the very nature of the violation of the incorrect bite can change with age.
For example, at a certain point in life, the lower jaw, when a child grows up, can suddenly move forward sharply.
The sooner an adult patient or parents see a dentist to treat the incorrect bite in a child, the less likely it is to develop complications, and the shorter the course of treatment will be.
5 key steps in dental bite formation
We highlight five key stages in the development of a correct bite, each of which has its own characteristics and is accompanied by specific problems of the maxillofacial system:
Is formed from the very birth and lasts up to 6-7 months.
At this time, a child (up to about three to four years of age maximum) usually has all temporary teeth eruption.
At this stage, children begin to grow especially actively, all their teeth erupt quickly and their jaws grow.
Active growth of the jaw system occurs from about six to twelve years. Until the age of 12, permanent teeth are already fully erupted.
By the age of sixteen, an adult has finally formed the correct bite, and there is a complete change of temporary teeth to permanent ones.
Our dentition is subject to changes throughout life, and the incorrect bite in a child can occur at any of the above stages.
Often in children, at a very early age, certain signs of improper occlusion associated with teething occur.
Parents who do not attach particular importance to the violation of the incorrect bite of the teeth can face serious dental complications in the child, as well as the formation of an incorrect closure.
Untimely replacement of milk teeth for permanent and incorrect development of the child's jaw system - often leads to the formation of gaps between the teeth (diastemas), the absence of some teeth, curvature of the dentition, etc.
Photo of uneven bite of teeth.
If you find specific symptoms and signs of malocclusion in a child, find pronounced defects, then you urgently need to get a pediatric dentistry, for an appointment with a qualified orthodontist.
A qualified specialist will help you choose the treatment and offer options - how to align the teeth bite in children and adults. There are times when it may no longer be possible to correct the wrong occlusion in an adult using only orthodontic methods.
Classification: main species of the incorrect bite
If the ratio of rows in an adult is correct, we can talk about the correct type of bite. In this case, even such a small deviation is considered permissible, in which the cutting of the upper front teeth goes into the joint with the lower ones (direct occlusion).
In dentistry, there are several types of the incorrect bite:
- Open bite: completely or partially there is no closing of both jaws;
- Deep bite: the lower teeth are strongly covered by the upper ones;
- Mesial bite: one of the jaws is strongly protruded forward;
- Distal bite: characterized by an overdeveloped upper jaw;
- Crossbite: a disorder in which the dentition intersects each other (somewhat resembling scissors);
- Dystopic bite: observed with an incorrect arrangement of individual units of the row;
- A lower bite is called an incorrect type of closure, which is formed due to the absence or severe decay of the teeth.
Why is a disturbed bite so often formed?
Experts consider heredity to be one of the key factors in the formation of various dental occlusion disorders.
Occlusion disorders can also occur during inappropriate feeding of a baby (for example, artificial feeding of a baby).
However, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the appearance of uneven occlusion cannot be attributed solely to bad heredity.
With proper care of your oral cavity, you can significantly align your teeth and avoid many complications.
With the help of modern orthodontic constructions, the incorrect bite can be aligned in a child and an adult, and it is possible to achieve successful results at almost any age.
Key factors contributing to the development of the incorrect bite:
- Injuries sustained during childbirth;
- Too early replacement of milk cloves with permanent ones;
- Some childhood diseases (for example, rhinitis, sinusitis, rickets);
- Bad habits of the child (sucking fingers, the constant presence of the nipple and other foreign objects in the mouth);
- Disrupted metabolism;
- An unbalanced diet and food intake that significantly contribute to tooth decay or curvature.
How to align teeth bite in adults?
Modern techniques in the field of dental practice make the process of aligning an uneven bite fast enough and accessible to a patient of any age.
Photo. Ceramic braces to get the right bite for our client.
A variety of new generation braces allows you to choose the most suitable design for each, which can be either removable or non-removable. Of course, in the case of poor closure in children, its solution will take much less time and will require less cost.
The most optimal age to treat a child's teeth bite is considered adolescence, since it is during this period that the most active maturation and growth of the body occurs, the jaw system is finally formed, and therefore the dentition can be aligned with the best result.
To align the incorrect bite, adult patients will have to be patient, since they have already fully formed their jaw bones, have formed certain habits (functions of speech, chewing, breathing, etc.).
In addition, in adulthood, the blood supply to the tissues slows down, the teeth become more fragile, and it becomes much more difficult to align the incorrectly formed occlusion.
It is worth noting that it is quite difficult, time-consuming and costly to cure high-quality incorrect closure for children and adults. We recommend that parents from an early age show their child to a doctor, and carefully monitor all changes in the process of tooth formation.
How to heal the incorrect bite?
New generation braces, aligners, other developments of modern orthodontics, as well as veneers - allow you to solve the problem of the incorrect bite in the shortest possible time.
The price of aligners is available at the specified link.
A number of existing designs enable the doctor, together with the patient, to choose the most optimal and effective option for him.
Many people still have a stereotype that braces are ugly, bulky and inconvenient designs. We hasten to assure you that dentistry has been steadily developing in recent years and is able to offer today a number of devices that are distinguished not only by high efficiency, aesthetics, but also by convenience.
Modern bracket systems, orthodontic mouth guards, aligners in most cases are designed so that they are completely invisible to others.
The designs are selected and adjusted by the orthodontist so that the patient does not experience any discomfort during wearing, and quickly gets the correct bite of the teeth.
Each bracket system is different in aesthetic aspects and purpose.
Photo - orthodontist Korzhev R. with a patient.
All over the world, braces are still the most famous and demanded constructions to align the teeth of adults.
They effectively cope with many disorders, and help to align the teeth of adults and adolescents aged 12-13 years.
With all their advantages, mouthguards are not suitable in every case, and are used more often to consolidate the results of treatment with braces.
A bracket system is a special device consisting of plates, locks, grooves, a special orthodontic spring and an arch, which, under pressure, helps to align the teeth, ensuring their correct position.
At the moment, there are a huge number of bracket systems that differ in materials, quality, indications and wearing periods.
Briefly about the most popular bracket systems
Photo - treatment with ceramic braces.
- Metal braces are considered the classic and most affordable type to effectively align teeth, ensuring long-term results. Among some of the disadvantages of this type, we can mention the low aesthetics and rather long-term patient habituation to the design.
- Lingual braces are considered to be an excellent type of braces. They are invisible, as they are attached to the inside of the teeth. They are distinguished by ultra-thin plate thickness, quick addiction and a high level of comfort.
- Braces for teeth are made exclusively taking into account all the individual characteristics of patients and help to treat and cure even the most advanced cases of dental occlusion in humans.
All the plates are placed on a special glue, after which the doctor fixes and activates a special orthodontic arch.
The first days of getting used to it can be accompanied by not the most pleasant sensations (after all, the braces are in contact with the tongue from the inside), but the discomfort goes away rather quickly.
- Ligature braces have a special design. The arch and the plates are attached to each other with special rubber bands (ligatures). These types of braces should be selected by an orthodontist - he may recommend vestibular or lingual braces.
- The self-ligating bracket systems have built-in special locks, with which you can easily control the tension force of the orthodontic arch. Such braces have a rather mild effect on the teeth.
- Ceramic braces are distinguished by the highest aesthetics. Each plate is made of the finest ceramic material, which is matched to the natural color of the enamel. They are completely safe, they do not have any sharp corners at all, and they do not injure the oral mucosa in any way.
- Sapphire braces are not just an orthodontic construction, but a real work of art. Plates for such braces are made of very small translucent sapphires. This type of construction is fixed exclusively on the outside of the dentition, since it is highly fragile.
We strongly recommend that you undergo an examination by an experienced orthodontist and listen to his recommendations regarding the use of the most effective and reliable system for you in order to correct malocclusion for children and adults.
Since it is rather dangerous to start only from your aesthetic preferences. You run the risk of wasting time, money, and not getting the desired result.
Veneers for bite correction
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that there is a faster way to smooth out minor deviations of dental occlusion - dental prosthetics with veneers, crowns, and other types of fixed dentures.
Veneers perfectly correct small deviations in the positions of the anterior dental group, visible when smiling and talking.
Veneers in Kyiv are often placed on the upper jaw in front. Below and on all posterior chewing areas - crowns and bridges are better suited for veneers. Veneers and crowns can be installed in 1 visit (direct), or better in 3-4 visits (ceramic).
How to straighten a dental bite?
We offer only the most advanced, safe, effective and most optimal methods - how to cure the incorrect bite with braces or other technologies.
Our team of specialists will always select the most optimal orthodontic treatment for you, taking into account your individual characteristics and capabilities.
We guarantee the selection of high-quality braces, aligners, and professional assistance in getting the correct bite of your teeth.
Treatment in our Lumi-Dent dental clinics always justifies itself by the high professionalism of our doctors, the level of service and the technologies used.
Our patients left a lot of comments and video reviews in the section of the site "Dentistry COMMENTS", which will help you get to know our staff in more detail and get an idea of the level of treatment.
An incorrect bite is not a hindrance to the installation of dental implants. However, it is still recommended to place the implants after or during the alignment of the incorrect bite.
The most effective period for orthodontic treatment is considered to be the period from 10 to 12 years, at the time of the final formation of a permanent bite.
At this time, almost all teeth are already present, on the other hand, the bone tissue of the jaws is still immature and malleable, and the dentition moves with braces very easily.
The above information does not mean that the child should not be shown to the orthodontist before this date.
In fact, the first visit to the dentist orthodontist should be as early as 2-3 years old.
What does the pathological bite of the teeth affect - how dangerous it is:
- Violation of food chewing - leads to chronic diseases of the digestive tract - gastritis, pancreatitis, duodenitis, cholecystitis;
- Multiple caries;
- Poor diction;
- Diseases of the temporomandibular joint;
- Systemic disease of teeth and gums - periodontitis;
- Psychological trauma due to poor physical appearance.
A pathological bite is considered to be closure, in which:
- there are gaps between the teeth - treme and diastema;
- no contact between opposite teeth;
- the lower third of the face is reduced - from the tip of the nose to the chin. Normally, it should be the same height as the distance from the bridge of the nose to the tip of the nose, or from the end of the scalp to the bridge of the nose;
- the lower jaw is displaced to the side of the midline,
- strongly pushed forward, or pushed back;
- one of the jaws is much smaller than the other one;
one or more teeth are not in the dentition, inclined inward or outward, or rotated around their axis.
- First of all - to get an appointment with a professional dentist orthodontist;
- After consulting a doctor, start treatment to obtain the correct bite - with braces for teeth, plates, braces, aligners, trainers;
- If necessary, do a finger massage of the teeth, work with a speech therapist.
Sign up for free online consultation