Teeth crowns. Types of crowns
- Dental crowns
- What is a tooth crown?
- Everything about dental bridges
- What is a dental bridge?
- In what cases a crown must be placed?
- The main contraindications for crowns
- Types of dental crowns considering the method of their manufacture
- Types of dental crowns by design
- Varieties of dental crowns and dental bridges by material of manufacture
- Dental crowns warranty
- Features of prosthetics with each type of dental crowns
- Cost of dental crowns
- How to put crowns on teeth
- What is the client's greatest concern?
- Clear benefits of Lumi-Dent dental clinics
- How to care
In this article, we'll tell:
- What are dental crowns?
- What material are modern chew-resistant dental crowns made of?
- What is the price of a crown?
- How do you put crowns on your teeth?
- What is a teeth bridge?
- In what cases is a dental bridge placed?
- What are temporary crowns?
- What is the guarantee for prosthetics?
Photo. Schematic representation of a prosthesis - what a tooth looks like with a crown.
Today Lumi-Dent dental clinic in Kiev offer to supply all types of crowns that restore the functions and appearance of the dentition.
Artificial bridges and dental crowns are extremely difficult to distinguish from intact and healthy teeth.
You can see a photo below – it is the result before and after dental prosthetics in our dentistry.
Dental crowns in dentistry are produced in the form of a hollow cap. Externally, the cap follows the shape of a natural tooth, but inner part of the cap exactly matches the treated part of the root.
Photos before and after prosthetics in Lumident, Ukraine.
If the destruction of the outer part of the enamel and dentin is more than 50%, a dental crown must be installed. An additional condition for installation - if alternative methods (inlays, sealing) are found to be insufficiently effective.
When the structure of a diseased tooth is destroyed unto to the root, the crown shall be placed on it with the help of dental pins with special dental cements.
Photo. This is how prosthetics based on stump tabs looks like - how a crown is placed on a pin.
When a root of tooth is removed, dental crowns are fixed on adjacent ones (bridge is fixed on the teeth), or on an installed implant.
What is a tooth crown?
A tooth crown is an artificial prosthesis of the supra-gingival part of the affected tooth:
- They are made in different ways, from different materials;
- They fully imitate the shape of the tooth, restore its chewing function and aesthetic appearance;
- They are single, or interconnected by intermediate parts - such designs are called a dental bridge. They compensate for the aesthetic and chewing function of the extracted teeth.
Photo. What does a dental crown look like on an implant, on a model.
- Modern dental prostheses are made of materials that do not change color and are much stronger than a natural tooth.
- Food debris does not adhere to them, and dental deposits are not formed.
- Such prostheses are like all-ceramic prostheses - according to reviews, they do not affect the gums in any way, do not cause its inflammation and bleeding.
- Therefore, ceramic dental crowns are environmentally friendly and natural for the human body.
- Crown construction refers to the non-removable type of dentures. The crown is attached with dental cement, which does not dissolve in saliva, and ensures a reliable connection for many years.
Crowns are durable and aesthetic. They completely solve the problem of the restoration of damaged tissues.
Photos before and after prosthetics in Lumident.
Everything about dental bridges
They can replace up to 4 extracted teeth in the anterior areas.
Dental bridges compensate only up to three row units on the posterior teeth.
Dental bridges are made using the same technologies and materials as crowns. There are many similarities between dental bridges and crowns. In fact, the crowns are the supporting parts of dental bridges.
What is a dental bridge?
It is a dental construction that consists of two parts:
- Supporting part - crowns worn on adjacent teeth;
- Flushing part - hangs between the abutment crowns. This part does not touch the gums, or there is little contact, mainly in the anterior areas. This section of the bridge on the teeth is called flushing because it is easy to rinse food stuck with under it.
The photo shows a schematic construction of a dental bridge on the chewing teeth.
The types of dental bridges:
- Stamped and brazed;
- Sintered metal;
Zirconium dental bridges are the most popular now. They are esthetic, moreover, they are able to withstand a significant chewing load.
Today, the relevance of these constructions is decreasing due to the increasing popularity of dental implantation. However, bonded bridges are very popular as a temporary measure during implant healing.
Often dental bridges are also placed on implants, with a view to economy. In this case, fewer implants need to be installed.
In what cases a crown must be placed?
- If the dental tissues have a strong defect in shape from caries damage.
- On the roots, having previously made a pin structure (pin) on them.
- With pathological abrasion.
- With a strong change in the color of the enamel.
- With non-carious damage (fluorosis, enamel hypoplasia).
- With a congenital defect in the shape of the tooth.
- For aesthetic correction of the incorrect position of the dentition.
- For dental implants installed in the jaw.
- The cost of placing dentures on the anterior teeth and chewing teeth is satisfactory for the patient.
Photo. Before and after prosthetics.
Contraindications for restoration of teeth with crowns are extremely small today due to the invention of modern materials from which they are made.
The main contraindications for crowns
- Young age (up to 16 years old);
- Severe malocclusion;
- Excessive dental mobility;
- Extremely low height of the coronal part of the tooth.
Types of dental crowns considering the method of their manufacture
- Stamped (no longer used);
- Milled (on a mill from finished work pieces - zirconium, ceramic, metal);
- Polymerization (from composites, plastic) crowns;
- 3D printed (temporary plastic);
- Obtained by firing in an oven (porcelain fused metal, porcelain).
Types of dental crowns by design
- Full (covering all surfaces at least to the gingival margin, telescopic, on a pin);
- Partial (covering not all surfaces to the gums - three-quarter, equator crown).
Varieties of dental crowns and dental bridges by material of manufacture
- Metal (steel, cobalt-chrome, gold, titanium);
- Non-metallic (zirconium, porcelain, plastic);
- Combined (porcelain fused metal, porcelain with a zirconium cap, metal-plastic).
Photo. Differences with tabs.
Dental crowns warranty
All structures made in our clinics (except temporary ones) can have a service life of more than 20 years.
We provide a guarantee for all types of crowns (except temporary) for a period of 2 years. During this period, all our work on the replacement and alteration of defects in prostheses is free.
In Lumi-Dent dental clinics in Kiev, specialists can:
- at great prices, -
- make all types of modern crowns.
Go to the section "Services" - "Dental Prosthetics" for each type of prosthesis.
Features of prosthetics with each type of dental crowns
- Porcelain fused metal;
- Porcelain inlays;
Cost of dental crowns
You can see the cost for the manufacture of all types of dental prostheses both on the pages dedicated to each individual type of dental prosthetics (see above), as well as on the page "Prices for Kyiv dentistry".
Photo. Digital scanning of the model in the dental laboratory Lumident.
How to put crowns on teeth
1) A periapical X-ray is taken of the client, but more often it is necessary to do a computed tomography of the jaw of the required locus.
Diagnostics allows determining the following:
- how well the root canals of the tooth are prepared and sealed;
- if there are any inflammatory processes on the tops of the roots, which in the future can lead to serious problems, up to tooth extraction.
In addition, during this or the next visit, a professional hygienic cleaning of the oral cavity is carried out in order to remove stones and dental deposits.
They can interfere with the correct processing of tissues, transfer the infection to the mucous membrane when it is slightly touched with boron. Additionally, they may reduce the cementing effect of future finished crowns.
2) If necessary, the dental therapist cleans and seals the root canals using a dental microscope. An intelligent endodontic motor and a 3-D hot gutta-percha obturation system can be used.
Photo. Preparation of teeth for prosthetics with crowns, with a dental microscope.
3) If the tooth is badly damaged, the dentist installs a dental post made of different materials (according to indications) - glass ionomer, cobalt-chromium alloy, zircon. Then the post is placed with the help of cement with special processes in the root canals.
4) The prosthetics dentist processes the root of the tooth together with the installed post to the level of the gums. Then a digital impression is made using a special intraoral 3Shape scanner (see photo). As a result, a digital file is created in the computer and sent to the technician in the laboratory.
Photo. Getting a digital impression.
5) How are dental crowns made in a dental laboratory? The technician uses a computer to simulate the edges and shape of the prostheses. The finished virtual model is sent to a dental milling machine (see photo), which automatically grinds a crown of the required size and shape from a standard blank with mills.
Photo. Dental milling cutter.
6) For the duration of making a permanent prosthesis - temporary plastic crowns are printed on a 3-D printer from the same electronic file. They are installed on the day of dental treatment to instantly restore chewing and aesthetic function. Plastic constructions also help to hold the gums and protect the treated living teeth from temperature and other irritants.
7) Quite often, the doctor installs ready-made prostheses with temporary cement to give the patient time to get used to them and to examine them. If necessary, it is easy to remove the prostheses, to correct the color, the shape or the occlusion of teeth.
In addition, the doctor pays attention to whether food is clogged between the new prosthesis and adjacent teeth. With such complaints, the shape of the prosthesis is also being corrected.
8) The last step - the finished crown is placed on permanent cement.
What is the client's greatest concern?
Each client is concerned about the question - which design to choose, which crowns are better, which type is optimal in terms of price-quality ratio.
Where it is possible to save on cost, and where, on the contrary, savings will bring obvious harm?
Our specialists will carefully listen to all your wishes and offer several alternative options for dental prosthetics.
They will definitely help you to choose the best dental crowns in terms of aesthetics, functionality, and your financial capabilities.
It is important to remember that you place long life crowns. As you know, high-quality work and good materials cannot have a cheap price.
As the saying goes, the miser always pays twice.
First of all, the doctor, the clinic, and its technologies must inspire confidence.
It is this principle that we recommend to use when you choose a clinic and a dentist.
Photo. Dental prosthetics with a dental microscope.
Clear benefits of Lumi-Dent dental clinics
- Always free consultation;
- After consultation, you will receive a printout indicating all procedures with their exact cost - no hidden charges!
- The doctor will always offer several options for solving your problem, and will recommend the optimal solution in terms of cost and quality;
- All procedures are performed under computer local anesthesia STA, which is equipped with every office of our clinics;
- There is a possibility of comfortable treatment and dental prosthetics in a chair with anesthesia (medical sleep);
- The best professionals in Kiev, trained in clinics in Ukraine, the USA and Europe;
- Processing of teeth for crowns is done under a microscope (see photo above) - the highest possible precision of work;
- Lumi-Dent clinics have their own dental laboratory. Thanks to it, there is a quick time frame for the manufacture of prostheses, replacement of standard impressions with digital ones, high accuracy, low price;
- You can see many photos before and after the work of our specialists on the web site in the section "Our works". You can immediately see the final result that you will receive after the end of the treatment and dental prosthetics;
- We provide discounts for the cost of dental treatment and prosthetics services, starting from the first visit to the clinic;
- We give a two-year warranty after the crown is placed on permanent cement.
How to care
New dental crowns and bridges should be cared as if they were healthy teeth.
Only hygienic cleaning is required 2 times a day, in the morning and in the evening.
It is advisable to avoid eating extremely hard objects - biting nuts, lollipops, kozinaki, opening beer with your teeth is also not recommended.
Video with people who have installed dental crowns and other dental prostheses in Lumi-Dent clinics - on "Reviews of Kyiv dentistry".
Photo "before after" implant-supported posterior teeth prosthetics.
How much are dental crowns on chewing and anterior teeth?
The cost of dental prosthetics can be seen below on the page.
Our clinics do not make plastic and metal-plastic dental crowns as permanent structures, due to:
- their toxicity to the body;
- poor aesthetics;
- short service life.
Permanent dental porcelain prostheses have already completely replaced plastic and metal-plastic constructions in modern dentistry.
How many dental crowns were placed in Lumi-Dent clinic in 2020:
|Porcelain fused metal.||923|
|Made of zirconium dioxide.||1204|
|Sintered metal||Zirconium 'Budget'||Zirconium 'Business'||Zirconia with veneer
Stage I - Tooth preparation
|Digital impression||1 650||1 650||1 650||1 650|
|Crown cost||2 500||5 000||5 440||6 299|
Stage II - Fixation *
|Total cost||5 530||8 340||8 780||9 849|
* 10-14 days after stage I
|Cost of additional manipulations, UAH|
|Mucosal retraction (1 tooth)||130|
|Application for removal of sensitivity (for 1 tooth)||190|
All photos before and after dental prosthetics on this page are real examples of the result of our clients.
Dental bridges and crowns can last for a long time! It is proven by Lumi-Dent dental clinic!
Before and after photos - front and back dental prosthetics at a client of the Lumi-Dent dentistry network in Kiev.
Sign up for a consultation today!
Dental bridges are placed on the teeth using the same technology as dental crowns, such as these two types of dental prostheses are very similar to each other. Or, rather, what is the crown - it is a component of a dental bridge.
It is better to choose dental prosthesis made of zirconium oxide for implants, especially for chewing teeth. Zirconia prostheses have excellent strength and aesthetics, and they are safe for the gums and the body.
When choosing what is better to install a crown or bridge, the following factors should be considered:
- it is better to insert an implant into the place of the removed dental root and put a crown on it, however, this option will be a bit longer than the installation of the bridge;
- to put the bridge it is necessary to file down healthy teeth adjacent to the defect, therefore, the option when a crown is placed on the implant is more preferable.
If there are roots of the anterior teeth, it is necessary to make porcelain or zirconium crowns, possibly with pins (if the destruction of the supragingival part is large).
If there are no roots, it is better to put implants in place of the anterior teeth, and make crowns (from porcelain or zirconium) on them.
It the case is to install crowns on anterior teeth, then all-ceramic structures made by hand by a technician, or milled in our laboratory from a solid workpiece according to a computer file, take an unequivocal leadership.
By the way, milled porcelain crowns for anterior teeth are the most modern and reliable option.
The anterior teeth require increased attention, because any flaw will be immediately noticeable when smiling or talking. The material of the crowns on the anterior teeth must impeccably imitate the dental tissue.
Porcelain prostheses barely reach the edge of the gums, do not cause inflammation, and ideally match your native neighboring anterior teeth in color, shape, and transparency.
You can choose more budget-priced crowns and bridges, for example, porcelain fused metal, for chewing teeth, but only (!) if you have limited financial resources. Although porcelain fused metal is already inferior in price and quality to budget zirconium.
In the presence of increased abrasion, and a reduced height of the bite, metal prostheses can be placed back on the chewing teeth.
However, undoubtedly the best option for molar prosthetics today is zirconia crowns. These artificial teeth are thinner and have good aesthetic properties, as well as increased strength, which is important for the chewing areas.
Therefore, zirconia crowns is the best option for chewing teeth.
A dental bridge is inserted in the same way as the crowns. All stages - how to put dental bridge - are indicated above on this page.
There are usually installed the following types of dental bridges:
- for one tooth (cantilever);
- for 2 teeth;
- for 3 teeth;
- for 4 anterior teeth;
- for 5 teeth (if you count the supporting ones);
- for 6 anterior teeth (if you count the supporting canines);
- a dental bridge for anterior teeth;
- for anterior upper teeth;
- for chewing teeth.
Modern zirconium bridges last 15-20 years or more, they are aesthetic and the best prostheses.
Aesthetics is important here, so a porcelain dental bridge based on zirconium dioxide is better for anterior teeth. The maximum gap that can be closed with a dental bridge on the anterior teeth is four teeth.
For molars, structural strength is important, so it is best to install a zirconium bridge. Alternatively, a solid metal prosthesis is still suitable for the posterior teeth, but it is unaesthetic and also toxic to the gums and the body.
A three-tooth bridge (hinged part), but no more, is possible in this location.
A professional doctor can do this procedure in a dental clinic only. Do not try to remove a dental bridge yourself.
In fact, there is nothing to choose from, such as the crowns are components of the bridge.
If the tooth root is in its place, a crown is placed on the tooth. If there is no root, dental crowns are placed on the teeth adjacent to the defect, and the hinged part of the bridge is attached between them.
Prosthetics of teeth with crowns is performed by a dentist orthopedist.
Lumi-Dent clinics in Kyiv offer a guarantee for all types of prostheses, including tooth crowns, for the period of 2 years, all other dentistry - usually 1 year.
This is a dental prosthesis consisting of 2 parts:
- inner - a metal cap;
- external - plastic veneer, imitating tooth tissue.
Today, metal-base laminate crowns are no longer installed, due to their short service life and toxicity to the body.
Dental implants are made from titanium, but crowns are not. Not only strength, but also aesthetics is important for the external part of the tooth, and zirconium material perfectly copes with these functions.
An orthopedic dentist in the clinic knocks off permanent cement or saws an old prosthesis, and takes an impression on a new one. When the new crown is ready, it is fixed with dental cement.
Most likely, we are talking about full plastic crowns. These are temporary crowns that are installed on the ground teeth during the manufacture of permanent permanent structures.
Temporary plastic crowns:
- protect sensitive teeth from various irritants;
- give you the opportunity to smile and chew food;
- do not allow the gums to grow on the support.
Price for temporary tooth crown:
- which are made in the laboratory - 660 UAH;
- which are made in the clinic – 440 UAH.
The crown for the anterior and chewing teeth is put on without pain, since all procedures are performed under local computer anesthesia, or under general anesthesia (drug sleep). Our clinics can offer you both technologies to choose
A tooth nerve is removed only if it is infected or inflamed. In all other cases, the crown is placed over living teeth.
A living tooth under a crown will last much longer than a dead one, since its tissues will constantly be nourished from the body. Modern technologies make it possible to keep teeth under the crowns alive.
It's completely pointless. Metal dental crowns look bad, are toxic to the gums and the body. Metal crown is no longer the thing of the past, but it is the thing of the remote past.
- teeth turning and impressions;
- bridge fitting, running-in for bite and color;
- fixation of the bridge with permanent cement.
- bridge for the anterior teeth;
- one-tooth bridge - cantilever;
- bridge for two, three, four teeth.
The maximum length of the bridge is influenced by the location where it will be installed:
- a bridge on the anterior teeth - let's say a defect in three teeth;
- a bridge on the chewing teeth - a gap of four teeth is allowed.
That is, there can be a maximum 3-tooth bridge in the lateral areas. A 4-tooth bridge can be placed on the anterior teeth.
Dental prosthesis are made of:
- porcelain fused metal (it has already lost its relevance);
- porcelain (Cad / Cam) - only for the anterior teeth;
- zirconium dioxide (Cad / Cam) - for the anterior and chewing teeth. It is the most used material today.
By manufacturing material, there are:
- porcelain fused metal;
- zirconium crowns.
By time of use:
- temporary crowns.
- for the anterior teeth;
- for the posterior teeth.
If the dental bridge is made correctly and it has been already placed, it looks like normal and healthy teeth.
The stages of prosthetics for the anterior teeth do not differ from the manufacture of crowns for chewing teeth:
- tooth preparation (treatment, processing);
- putting on a temporary crown;
- fitting and fixing a permanent crown.
The cost of "turnkey" dental crowns, taking into account all procedures, depending on the material of manufacture - from 4740 to 8780 UAH.
Sign up for free online consultation